Deadline: October 31, 2017 (Extended till November, 15)
Winners’ Declaration: Mid-February, 2018
Duration: May 2018 (1-31)
(Please note that due to several kind requests, the deadline for Kooshk Artist Residency Award (KARA 2018) has been extended till the end of November 15.)
Kooshk residency is a non-profit space for arts and culture in Tehran. Kooshk, with sponsorship of private section tries to provide a convenient space for artists, curators, researchers, writers and filmmakers to encourage inter-cultural dialogues and art creation.
The Kooshk Artist Residency Award has been implemented to support artists, creativity and the development of new ideas in the unique space of Tehran. This Residency program is a chance for attendants to do research and experiment, develop professionally, maintain direct dialogues and the exchange of ideas in order to grow and nurture their creativity, and try new methods of working and thinking. This Residency is an annual event lasting one month and will be offered to four non-Iranian selected artists.
During the residency, Kooshk will provide a dynamic and distinctive situation for international artists to work and exchange ideas with local artists, critics and researchers. The program emphasizes a balance between working in a personal space and working in collaboration with other artists and interacting with viewers and the environment. In line with its goals, Kooshk will make any effort to have a contribution in the growth of cultural and social views, by gathering local, national and international artists with a diverse spectrum of artistic disciplines in the cultural and artistic space of Tehran and by creating the possibility for exchanging ideas.
Who Can Apply
All the international individual artists active in fields of Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Sound and Music, Film and Video are welcome to apply.
Fees & Stipend:
Applicants need to pay a non-refundable application fee of $20USD. Awarded artists receive a $450 monthly stipend. The costs of accommodation (shared room for two artist), studio and return ticket will also be covered by Kooshk.
• Applications will be received through slideroom, an online application procedure.
• Applications will be processed in compliance with declared criteria in two rounds and different panels of jury of the award.
• Aysha Waja – Curator at Bag Factory
• Gemma Sharpe – PhD Candidate Art History, New York
• Giulio Verago – Cultural Operator and Project Manager of VIR Viafarini
• Jennifer Lindsay – Residency Director at Red Gate Residency
• Tayeba Lipi – Visual Artist and Co-Founder/Trustee Britto Arts Trust
• Danda Jaroljmek – Director of Circle Art Gallery, Nairobi, Kenya and Administrator for The African Arts
• Ehsan Rasoulof – Director and Founder of Kooshk Residency
• Heejung Park – Manager of MMCA Residency Changdong, run by the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
• Iftikhar Dadi – Associate Professor in Department of History of Art, Cornell University
• Jean-Baptiste Joly – Director of Akademie Schloss Solitude – Stuttgart, Germany
All applicants must fill in the application form providing the following:
• Personal Information
• Reference (No letter will be needed)
• Artist Statement
• Motivation Letter
• Work Samples
• Competency of the application, including the quality of resume and sample works
• Innovative-ness of the proposal, outputs and concrete outcomes
• Compatibility of the proposal/plan with the award’s goals and the extent of the award’s significance in realizing the proposal
• English language skills
Applying early is smart. As there will be numerous applicants submitting at the last days/moments of deadline, we will not grant you any deadline extension or help to submit if something goes wrong.
The applicants can apply through the link below:
If you have any question, send an email to email@example.com
Q: Can I apply as a curator, researcher, writer or critic?
A: No, only those active in fields of Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Sound and Music, Film and Video can apply for this program.
Q: Can I apply as an Iranian artist living abroad?
A: No, this opportunity is provided for the non-Iranian, international artists.
Q: Is the schedule fixed or it can be changed?
A: The time for this residency is May 2018 and cannot be changed.
Q: Can we apply as a duo or a team?
A: This opportunity is open to individuals and you cannot apply as a group.